View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: What Tools Do I NEED?

personally, I say a torque wrench is not needed. UNless you are in the engine, you'll never really need it.
Yes, I understand that every fastener has a specific torque value that it should be twisted to, however, it is way over rated to do it.
A set of 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 inch sockets and rachets are a great start, open/box combination wrenches, assorted screw drivers in flat and phillips, a couple hammers... but you probably already have that covered most likely.
A disk brake piston tool makes pad chainges super easy, and at less than 20 bucks at sears, an easy tool to afford, some pry bars are needed, although, I highly recomend NOT getting craftman's 3 footer... seen too many ppl bleed from them when they snap. The smaller ones are OK, but watch what you're doing.
A floor jack and stands are manditory. Cinder blocks crumble when you put cars on them, and you have too nice a driveway to be ripping up with them anyways. A wide 'shop type' floor jack is very nice, and well worth the money. Those little ones that fit behinde the seat...I've seen too many of them break, bend, fall over.... etc.
Safety glasses are a must, ear plugs.... ehh, if you get a compressor, then some good hearing protection is needed. But honestly, I think air tools may be jumping the gun a bit for you. It's a lot of money when you are just getting in the hoddy, and esp when in school.
A nice tool box that you can keep organized is important IMO... nothing worse than digging through 5 tote boxes to find the 1/4 inch drive 3/8 socket so you can drop the last 3 tranny pan bolts. (How many of us have been there?)
Your garage is poorly lit... and personally, that drop light you have was killin my eyes, but if it works good for you, great. I recomend one with a metal reflector instead of that orange plastic one. A good flash light is needed, a mag light is pretty cheap and is always needed aroun the house.
gear wrenches are really nice, I can't speak for that brand... but I know the nice ones are super expensive. check pawn shops and e-bay.
I'm sure I'll think about more later.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote