View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
freeinwv

I'm too old to be new, but...

Here's my first post.
About me -
I work too hard, don't play hard enough, and have old trucks tucked into every nook and cranny on my road. And I've dated my fair share of girls who say things like "Hey, I have an idea. Why don't we sell all these old trucks and maybe we'll get enough money for a down payment on a new Ford Escape. They're hot!" As you can guess, that suggestion usually goes down about as well as if they had said "Hey, I have an idea. Let's go over to the cemetary and take a whiz on your grandaddy's grave. That's hot!"

About my latest treasure -
Back in November, I went to look at a body for a Blazer over in Kentucky. On the way home I went through Ohio and spotted a sweet two-wheel drive '81 Blazer at a local lemon lot. Only a $1000. After a little haggling I hauled her home for the grand total of $588. A decent deal on a freshly painted rust-free Blazer. And by rust-free, I mean it only needed new inner and outer rockers, floors, mounts, fenders, and tail pan. And doors. And tailgate, of course.
Two months later, it had them.
Which brings me up to last Thursday. As I was heading out the door the other morning, I got a call from my dad who lives directly across from me. Seems someone was trying to steal my '75 Blazer which is parked in the no man's land between our yards. Even brought a flatbed to haul it away. By the time me and my dogs got over there things were pretty dang tense. A representative from the Ohio state police/dmv was trying to tell my dad why he had a legal right to steal a Blazer that's been in my family for 30 years and my dad was trying to explain why he had a legal right to let this guys blood out and the air in. Well, I don't think my dogs (or my brothers, for that matter) helped calm the situation much, but I gave her a shot.
Heres' what I found out.
Seems there was a question as to who actually owned the '81 Blazer. So rather than try and straighten things out, someone in Ohio just decided to come over to WV and snatch it. Except they tried to snatch the wrong Blazer. Even though the driver of the flatbed told them it wasn't the right truck.
After a little more fishin, I found out that the truck had been owned by a kid who got arrested for dui and no insurance and then was relinquished to a small town in ohio. Someone there then transferred it (illegally) to the lemon lot owner and then he sold it to me. Knowing there was a problem with the title. Three seperate Ohio screw-ups and they expect a West Virginian to pay the final bill. What can I say? That's about as likely to happen as me getting a new escape.

So here's my question: Anybody know how long a stock driveshaft on a 2-wd Blazer is? I've now measured two but both of them were lowered and they weren't the same length. If someone with an uncut one could take a quick measurement, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.
freeinwv is offline   Reply With Quote