View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
cstanley

Re: Stereo Headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozona View Post
JC Whitney has sold these things since the 80s...at least. Dunno what they charge for them. Might be worth a look if you're curious.
They would prolly be OK if:

a: you spent the coin for a good set of speakers and had them properly tuned to the cab. having them aim right fo your ears segregates you from your passengers. it's nearly impossible to get the sound to an appropriate level, and still be able to talk to someone.

b: you covered/upholstered it in a good vinyl or cloth (or leather, if ya got it.) it kind of gives the sense of riding in a blazer with the fiberglass top on.

c: you used the overhead for a cb. it puts the controls and visibility of the radio a bit close to your face and makes it harder to see the controls, etc. you'd have to take your eyes a little too far off the road, because it gets out of your cone of vision, which is a little uncomfortable for some. if you were using a cb, it's not bad, because you typically set it and forget it, plus the speaker fires down, which is ideal.

I remember it being "echo-ey" and cheap plastic-ey sounding/feeling. it gives a sense of "hardness" to the cab that is uncomfortable.
my other beef with it is that it should integrate better lighting (granted, you could do this on your own) and provide a cleaner, more integrated means to get the wiring through.

I do think it would make a HUGE difference if it were upholstered with better speakers, to help cut down on the harshness.

just my two...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cstanley; 03-08-2007 at 10:21 AM.
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote