View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #329
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Watching paint dry sucks but watching concrete dry is even worse. I had some patching to do today to get my shop all in shap for some up comming work. This place was built about 1915 and needed some help with the floor. I think when they poured the slab it was just a topper over alot of rock base. I had sections comming up that were only about 1- 1 1/2" thick

So while that was drying I rebuilt the front arms and here it is.
Start off by setting all your parts out along with any tools and grease that you will need. Then set the upper cross shaft in a vise. Their is not a direction you need to worrie with the uppers shafts but the lowers have a set direction you will need to follow. Slide on the grease cups with the cup end facing out. Grease up the shaft threads, cups and the end cap nuts (inside and out). Then take the A-arm and slide one side on first then the other side. Now start the end cap nuts and turn them about 3-4 times each. You want to do this even on each side so they end up just touching the A-arm with out treading into them yet. Once the nuts are almost touching each side of the arm with out threading in go ahead and start to thread one side in about 2 turns then start the other side (do not use air tools for this step). Once they are both started and even feels free go ahead and hit it with air if you want untill they are tight but the arms should still be movable. Now install the ball joints and dust caps then your zerk fittings. Just dont turn those zerks to tight

Now that the uppers are done move onto the bottom arms. I like to install the ball joints first because after installing the cross shafts they are double the weight to hold while pressing in the ball joints. Once the joint is seatted it is time for the cross shaft. NOTE the counter sunk hole will face the front of the truck and the shock mount faces the rear. Just follow the same steps as the upper arms for the rest of the cross shaft install. I will install these in the truck and then hit everything with the grease gun.

This only tok about 1hr 30min to complete all four
Kevin
LFD Inc.
$2133.42
79hrs
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote