Thread: West Coast 67
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #70
PBFAB.COM

Re: West Coast 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing View Post
Thanks,

You're obviously TIG welding everything as you would never be able to get a MIG weld to metal finish like that. -
How did you close those gaps where the backers were used for fitment? - I though you couldn't fill a gap that big in sheet metal with a TIG?

Looks like you had to split the front of the hood section to get the body lines to work (which left you with those gaps) I guess my question is were you able to close them or did you add a "filler strip"???
The front piece will have filler pieces that go in on each side.

When TIG welding a panel I try and get the edges to butt up perfectly (no gap). The way I achieve this is by lining it up best I can, tack it in a few spots, then take my trusty cut-off wheel (1/32") and run it along the entire seam making the gap perfectly even (I don't cut the spot welds yet). Now I have a perfect gap that is even and true. I then cut the tacks and butt the panel up tight. Out comes the welder and away I go. After each tack or small stitch I will grind, hammer, and dolly the area making sure the entire panel maintains alignment. It may seem like it would take more time to use this method, but time spent now almost always means time saved later!

If I am using the MIG process I follow the same steps, only I don't butt the edges up completely... I have found it best to leave a small gap to aid in penetration.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 04-15-2007 at 12:20 AM.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote