View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
mattstoc

Re: '72 Jimmy - Original Sticker

All,

Thanks for all the feedback. Answers to some of the questions

Rust - It was bad in all the areas expected (floor pans and rocker panels). The one bear was the drivers side upper windshield frame (where the horiz meets the vertical) that was completely rusted out. Pictures below.

Engine - was in sad shape. In my inexperience and original zeal (I bought it in 95), I had the engine swapped at a local engine shop. I didn't think of rebuilding at the time, engine shop guy said it wasn't worth it. I can't remember now what was wrong with the original. I know I agreed with him at the time. He was a good deal - rebuilt engine, installed a new carb that I bought, new mounts, new fuel pump, conversion to HEI, new water pump, and 3yr/36k warranty for around $1,300. It sounds and runs great now even after very little driving over the last 10+ years (damn time flies)

Transfer case shifter - we just haven't cut the carpet and reinstalled yet. It is in the garage. We go to get it inspected this weekend - all that little stuff should be done then

Old School Slots - That and the stearing wheel are the biggest fights of my life. On the wheels there are two camps; they are either the butt ugliest thing on the planet or they are cool. My wife is going to make that decision (more on that briefly). Steering wheel at 17" is too big (because I am too big). We need a tilt column or a smaller wheel. Since I am tired of spending money and the wheel looks like crap, we are looking for a 15". Again, strong opinions here. Again my wife will make this call.

My Wife - I have the best car wife on the planet. Usually it is the guy pushing and lobbying to buy/spend on the old cars. I have the opposite she is a car nut and an old car lover. I have to be the voice of reason and restraint, which totally sucks. Be careful what you ask for, cause you just may get it. Together we strike a nice balance, but I wish I could be the dreamer instead of the practical one. Anyway, she is the one who is HOT about the wheels and stearing wheel.

Pics of rust and assorted others of pre-restore work:
Name:  100_0847.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  100_0854.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  100_0858.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  100_0874.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  100_5474.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  30.1 KB
I ran out of room at 5 pics, let me know if the list is ok with making an additional post for more pics.
mattstoc is offline   Reply With Quote