View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #27
OrrieG

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

I will get some measurements from the horizontal mount to the frame for your reference. Something else that might affect your trans mounting is the type of front motor mounts you are going to use. I used the stock front type, if you use side mounts it might raise or lower the trans mount a little bit to eep the intake manifold level.

A couple of other things you need to consider:

1. I left in the stock crossmember between the front rear shackles. The tranny inspection plate and fluid pan are a real tight fit in that area. I'll shoot a picture for you. Some guys cut out that which probably works ok on the street, but if you plan on using the 4wd I could see how the frame could start to spread, GM put it there for a reason.

2. I used the stock 74 front drive shaft to locate the transmission and transfer case front to back, then fabricated front motor mounts and trans mount accordingly. I then had a drive line shop modify (shortened in my case since it came out of a long bed truck) the drive line. The first time I took it out and really used the truck off road I found that the frame torques enough that the front drive line rubs the crossmember but a small notch in the back side solved the problem. I'll shoot a photo of that too.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.sharp View Post
Thanks for posting the detailed pics and information. This should help me out with this situation. I'm not sure I have those brackets to extend. I have the crossmember but don't remember taking those brackets off the frame. But are you saying the 4" is from the bottom of the frame to the trans cross member flange? I can make up something to bolt the crossmember to if that is where my 4" dimension should be located from.

Thanks again,

B.Sharp
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote