Thread: motor mounting?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 10:14 AM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

stgjed, i wouldnt move the position of the eng till you install the BB.......or you may be doing the shaft twice! The difference tween the sb, & I6 position is right at 3 1/2". The BB falls somewhere between that, & uses different stands than the sb. I believe you can mount the sb on the BB stands, & it will slide it ahead about an inch from I6 location......but you can not use the sb stands to mount the BB , due to clearance problems with ex manifolds/headers. I have my sb mounted in i6 position to move some weight rearward, & the only downside that i can see is that the clearance is pretty tight on the HEI dist. When my HEI "bites the big one", I will opt to install a small cap MSD to resolve that issue. I agree with the other longhorn on the shaft......right at the 6ft line is about all the local shops will go, & they reccomend a 4 1/2- 5" dia shaft.........thats a lot of trimmin on the crossmember! As another thought, if you are going BB, you could opt for one of the super long 400 turbos & have a short shaft built. good luck.....crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote