View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 02:56 AM   #13
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Re: "Check engine" light

My family car a Benz C280 had the engine light came on Last week and I took it in to the dealer and the service tech ran a scan and 15 different codes came up. They reset the memory (blanked it out) and then the service manager told me some interesting points about these modern systems that cars have these days.

First off the system in my car cycles 3 times which means after engine light comes on, the next 3 times that you start and stop your car the memory will clear itself if there has been a code that is in error or if it is something that you correct through the starting and stopping of your car. After 3 times if the memory doesn't clear itself take it in to the dealer.

These systems are so sensitive that if you don't put your gas cap on properly it can set off your check engine light.

Oh, btw the dealer never charged me for their time spent diagnosing my car and setting the memory back to zero. The sevice manager said that they were not going to go through 15 codes as this is not normal and to bring my car back if the engine light comes on again.

I hope this helps.... I take better care as to how my gas cap is put on since this experience.

esll,

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 07-10-2007 at 01:22 AM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote