View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Re: "Check engine" light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
lets not flame the mechanic untill we find out what happens when it goes back in.
As for the book time thing, any mechanic will tell you, it is just as easy to get burned on that as it is to come out ahead.
Example;
99 (I think it was a 99) astro van, little POS work van, the book calls for 8 hrs to do an engine swap. Seems doable untill you realize, there is no way for the enging to come out the front... nor through the inside. You have to drop the entire front subframe.
Everyone knows the dealer is expensive. That makes me wonder why so many people GO THERE to begin with.
I agree with Longhornman.
The check engine light will come on for many different reasons. T post a note over the light and ignore it may cost you thousands in the long run. It will not come on if you need an oil change, but it can if you fill the gas tank with the vehicle running, or leave the gas cap loose. Most all shops use flat rate pay scale, not just the dealerships. I dont agree with it either, but it is that way. I have worked many a day for free because of flat rate. Keep us informed, I am interested to see what the outcome is.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote