View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #87
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: How rare is the GMC Sierra Grande?

Ok guys...I have found some more info... and after looking over this thread, I have figured out something that has been brought up a few times.
First, the wood grain on the glove box door, and on the Inst panel was never avalible untill 71. The only wood grain found on any 70 was the tail gate band, the lower trim, and on the top of the vinal covered door panels. The door panels was a 70 and 71 item, then the 72 had the funky plastic door panels with the wood inserts too.
The cargo lamp, and headliner were introduced in 69, and MY OBSERVATIONS (never seen documented) indicate that the very early 69 CST trucks didn't have them. I did a poll on here years ago, and there was an alarming amount that did not have them on there CST trucks, however, I never thought to get the last numbers of the VIN, the build date if avalible, nor the build plant.

Now, for the info i have found.
First, I'll say where I found it.
About a year ago or so, I bought a large 3 ring binder full of GMC info off this board. It has stuff from the mid 60's up untill the mid 70's. inside there are many pages from GMC Headquarters, papers that were distributed to the dealerships around the country. They are all called Dealers' General Letters.
A few ppl saw this at the big meet in norwood last month... for those who saw it, you'll remember an old ratty looking black 3 ring binder with yellow pages in it... this is my source.
In there, I have a page dated 13 September 1968.
This is what it says, word for word;
"Sierra" and "Sierra Grande" options for 1500 - 3500 Wide Side pickups, announced at the 1969 GMC national Sales Convention, will be packages of existing comfort and apearance options with bright name plates on the pickup body side near rear. The name plates will enhance vehicle appearance and the packaging of the items under one RPO number will simplify ordering and pricing.

It should be noted that Sierra and sierra Grande plates will not be avalible until late in the year. Avalibility date will be covered by Availability Notice. A suggested method of furnishing these options prior to production availability will be to specify the option content by individual RPO and, when plates become available, obtain from service parts stock. For the protection of those owners of Sierra and Sierra Grande equipped vehicles, availability of service parts name plates will be restricted to those vehicles which contain all specifications of the Sierra and Sierra Grande options.

Equipment needed to provide components to be included in the Sierra and Sierra Grande package options are the name plate plus the following:

Sierra
Custom Comfort Z62
Chrome Front Bumper V46
Lower Side Mouldings BX2
Chrome Hub Caps P03
Inside R/V Mirror D36

Sierra Grande
Super Custom Z84
Chrome Hub Caps P03
Inside R/V Mirror D36
Dooredge Guards B93

B.M. Wilton
Product-Market Reserach Department

I don't know if this creates more questions than it answers.... but that's the scoop straight from GMC.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote