View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #35
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: $3500 worth it for this 68 Stepside

Might be a dumb question, but why not wait until your back in Washington and look for one there? There are a bunch of board members in that area that probably have a line on some good trucks. You will probably have a much better experience overall. I know how hard it is to wait. But buying a truck all the way across the country, not really knowing how well it will travel that kind of distance, possibly needing roadside repairs. You end up adding all that travel cost and you're looking at more like $4000 plus any repairs. And if anything major breaks, then what? You rent a truck and tow dolly and spend several hundred more. Add taxes and licensing and you're really spending about $4500 with the transportation costs.

I think you could do much better spending a bit more money at your duty station when you'll have the time and local resources to help you out. There is nothing about that truck special you can't find out west. Just think how much closer california and the other dry western states are. Much better potential for finding a solid truck.

I did my time in the navy and know what it's like to be in your position. I'd say let this one go. I'm not saying the truck isn't worth it. I just think it's not the best deal in your situation. Keep looking and researching, checking the ads, etc. Knowledge is power.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-03-2007 at 10:19 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote