View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #59
jaros44sr

Re: Both headlights burned out tonight... Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man jimmy View Post
If you want to test for spark. You can't actually touch it to the frame. You just grounded that plug. I usually stick a phillips in the spark plug boot, and hold the metal blade of screwdriver about 1/4 in. from any good ground. Have someone else grind the starter, and see if you get a spark jump from blade of screwdriver to ground, If so you are getting fire to the plug. If not check voltage to coil as stated. But if your coil crashed when your lights went out, you wouldn't have drove it home in the dark as stated. One other thing, make sure your phillips has a good handle on it, or you will get bit. If that bothers you, just pull a spark plug wire, push a spare plug into it, and ground the plug to see if you get spark when someone esle cranks it. Good luck guy. Just noticed a typo (I think) on the above post. You must have 12 volts to + side of coil when key is on. And the wire goes from ignition switch to + side of coil. - side goes to dist.
Good point, I forgot he drove it home, so it has tobe something he did in the garage. Please go back and check all your connections, maybe one was put on loose.

How could I forget the coil wire goes to the switch, must be CRAFT... J

Ignition switch sounds like the culprit now, check it out...
Great thing about this board, if you give wrong advice someone is there to correct the situation!!!

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-01-2007 at 06:59 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote