View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #82
Green Monster

Re: Both headlights burned out tonight... Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post

If you suspect a current draw while everything is turned off, you might try disconnecting the wiring harness connector at the firewall. It bolts on under the hood by the master cylinder.

Test again with the light, or with an ammeter connected where the light was.

What is the current drawn?
What is the voltage on the battery with the engine running and off? This is more to give an indication of the battery/charging status.

What is connected to the junction block where the small positive wire from the battery on the fender? Normally there's a red and black wire there that go into the wiring harness, accross the core support, and so on. Other wires indicate creative wiring. See the wiring diagram:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856

If your light goes out with the firewall connector disconnected, the problem is under the hood. If not, try disconnecting the read and black wires from the junction on the fender one at a time.

If current is still flowing with both wires disconnected from the junction, something is strange ;(

The fusible link by the battery in the diagran is supposed to stop the carbecue, BTW...
Now that I got the beast to run, I can answer these questions with hope of your help.

12.5V at the battery from post to post when the engine is not running.
13.4V at the battery from post to post when engine is running.
10.5V at the battery from - post to ground cable when engine is off.

This is a two battery system. I was told by the previous owner that Blazer had a winch on it which the second battery supported. That battery is dead. It will not charge. It reads 0.2V so I disconnected it completely so it would not interfere.

The junction I have two junction blocks on the passenger fender and one on driver side fender.

I removed the wire harness from the firewall as stated. The volt meter still reads 10.5V going from the negative post to the ground cable. I do get sparks when connecting the ground cable.

With 3 junctions I will have to look closely at what goes to where. I can follow up tomorrow when I have some daylight to work with. According to you directions and questions, that is the next step to complete.

-John
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote