View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #19
Pyrotechnic

Re: Cutting the dash

In a 73-87, the typical DIN radio seems to be tough to do right. I've seen very clean installs of DIN radios in 73-87's, and I even had to clean up the hackjob that the previous owner of my 78 did and it turned out nice, however, in most cases if you just use the tabs in the DIN sleeve, you end up securing it to the plastic dash bezel. If you use one of the cover plates from an install kit, you cover up the screws that hold in the bezel. It just seems like you have to do some major deconstruction if you ever need to take the dash bezel off for any reason.

To mount a DIN radio to the metal underneath the dash like the stock shaft mount, you could make some brackets that to mount the DIN sleeve to the metal while still having the opening of the sleeve flush with the plastic bezel, then modify the bezel so the radio comes through it. This way, the bezel can be removed just like stock. If you look at the 89-91 Suburban/Crew Cab/Blazer, they use a GM DIN+1/2 radio in this manner from the factory.

Of course just securing the din sleeve into the plastic and using a coverplate looks great and is functional, it would be just my luck that something would go wrong with my dash lights or gauges and I'd have to take the bezel off.

Comparatively, 67-72's are much easier because you just gotta the metal in the dash and secure the DIN sleeve.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote