View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #16
Rokcrln

Re: 68 crew cab dually "shop truck" project

So let me ask you this, what are your plans for reinforcing the structure of the cab? You are making one very large opening that will take alot of stress if ever involved in a decent wreck. In the build in my head I forsee sleeving the inside of the upper rail from front to back as well as some extra support just in the curve of the head liner. This will also help in making a very solid mount for the upper bear claw latch. The lower rocker is easy since you have unlimeted room under, in and behind the rocker.

I have built a 4dr crew cab long bed 4x4 out of one of these years for a customer but have always wanted one for my self and now that I have my son I think I need a bit more room But like I said it would be a 2wheel drive set up for the street with about a 5'-6" bed and ful power everything with an LS style motor. I like your idea of the rear suicide doors and it will be alot less work than making new B posts to look stock for a 4dr.

I am thinking for a real stock look it would be fairly easy to graft the C pillar jamb to the front of the rear doors at the B pillar location. This will give all the contours needed for the look as wel as a good seal to the front door. I am sure you have already gone over all this but I drive several hundred miles a day for work so I do alot of building while sitting in trafic Cant wait for up dates. Have fun with it!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote