View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #29
race-rodz

Re: 68 crew cab dually "shop truck" project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Do me a favor and post up a pic of teh frame jig. I am getting ready to build one for my shop and want some more ideas.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
i dont remeber the actual dimensions, but its about 14' long, and 40" outside wide. basically 6" heavy I beam rails, 6x8 tube for (3) main crossmembers, legs are 4" tube, 3/8 plate "feet" bolted to floor, leveled and stringlined every direction before welding to the feet. it took almost a full day getting it "flat" and level when i built it, but it sure makes it nice to not have to compensate for the suface being "off" when i build stuff.... once again, trying to make it idiot-proof, cuz i dont need any help making stupid mistakes.

the last jig was 20'x7' overall, all made from 3x4 tube. think trailer deck 3' off the ground. it was kewl for doing complete rollers, exhaust(could roll right under it on a stool) but it was just too f'ing big, took up too much space when not being used.

the new one is set up very "universal", i plan on making bolt on parts that will hold rotors in place as needed for wb and track widths, since i do a lot of scratch built suspensions. i also made this one about 20" tall, the other one was great for doin rails, but too tall for doing everything else. this one i can sit and weld rails, or stand on the floor and weld cages. it also works great for setting bare cabs on(like the crewcab is now), makes it just right for rocker repair work, and is still low enough to hang doors on it by myself.
race-rodz is offline   Reply With Quote