Thread: ljbear
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
ljbear

You are correct, the NV4500 doesn't bolt up without a different adapter and a few other modifications. Advance Adapter sells a complete kit to tie the two together, and if you're considering the swap I'd recomend talking to them first. I've attached a picture of the tranny and transfer case connected. The black section in the center is the TWO adapters it takes to hook them up. As well as the adapters there may be other issues inside to deal with depnding on how you start.

The SM465 4 speed uses a 10 spline output shaft and a coupler to tie to the NP205. The Input on the 205 is also a 10 spline male and has to be replaced with a new 32 spline female input shaft. This is the same shaft that would be used in a 205 that went to a TH400. If you change the shaft you also have to change the bearing, which is just a little larger on the outside than original, so the case has to be bored to accept the larger bearing. The hot setup would be to locate a 205 that was used behind a TH400, I tried but couldn't find one.

I don't know the specifics on the TH350/205 but I'd expect there are probably internal issues to deal with as well.

You will also have to change bellhousing, clutch, and possibly flywheel. I had to change flywheels because I'm using a 97 350 with one piece rear seal that won't work with my old flywheel. The bellhousing I'm using operates a hydraulic clutch, and puts the slave and arm to the right side of the motor, which could possibly cause problems hitting the driveline. I have a 4" lift so clearance seems adequate. The overall length pushed my crossmember back 2" so both drivelines will needed to be reworked. It's a pretty involved swap, but it turned out awesome.

Larry
Attached Images

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote