View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Re: Amp hook up kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
I have never bought a kit. I always piece mine together. I would go to a local car stereo shop as they have spools of power/ground wire in the back and will sell it by the foot.

You could get away with using 4ga wire with an 800W system, but I would do the following.

2ga minimum on power and ground. I would probably do at least 1/0 because I can see myself adding another amp, and so I don't have to run wire again, I would compensate for future changes. I use monster cable for my RCA's. Some people think they are over rated/over priced, but I think they have some great stuff. You will also need an inline fuse or breaker. I like using a breaker over the fuse, but that is just me. I usually run a fuse block that is installed next to the Amp for future use if I decide to go with multiple Amps. If the wiring in you truck is original, I would probably replace the main ground to the battery as well as the main power wire to the battery.

Anyways, good luck with the install.
I will go down to the local stereo store tomorrow and get some prices. What brand do you use for power and ground wire? If I do add another amp it would only be for some 6x9's or something along that line, and some tweeters, if its safe to hook tweets to an amp. If I do put another small amp in my truck, would I have to get a more powerful alternator?
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote