Thread: Rms
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Rms

I really should just start a build thread, but this should be my last audio question for a while. My pioneer head unit has an RMS of 22 watts per channel (at least thats what the manual says), and a max wattage of 50 into each channel, the head unit has the usual 4 channels. So my question is, and I have searched the internet for 5-6 hours trying to find this out, is this RMS that my manual talks about, at a certain volume i.e. 1/4 volume, 1/2 volume, or somewhere in between. I want to know, so I can pick a pair of front speakers. When I'm in the truck by myself, I have 2 volume levels 1. the cops are close by/residential neighborhood and 2. Dont need to speed (loud as I can get with out destortion). The speakers I'm thinking of getting have an rms of 35 watts, but the peak power is like 180 watts. That just dont make sense, if I was into competition it may make sense, but why would they have a peak of 180 and an rms of 35, are you getting what I'm saying? Its like saying I have 180 watt speakers, but I can only play them at full power for a few minutes............. Any suggestions on what the rms should be on the speakers I buy, and at what volume is this stated rms? Thanks in advance for any input. Also , I dont think I will be buying those Crunch ones I posted.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote