View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #18
1969K10

Re: Got lucky this weekend

Not only were we in the garage, g/f was between the bike & the K1 heater! It was a HOT and FAST fire.
Because of a tarp that I had down, and closing the door between the garage & basement on our way thru, the fire pretty much suffocated itself by the time the FD got there.
Yeah, weirred things happened. We found a candle on the floor that is not melted at all... Anything along the ceiling of the garage is toasted, and the lower you get, the less damage you find. Some things just couldn't resist the heat and combusted like boxes, the sheets covering the parts of an antique motorcycle, and the boxes to anything that was still in a box, but more times than not, the things in those boxes are OK. I had a 6" DA sander that was on a shelf in a box, and it melted a little...
The town I live in has a volunteer FD. I watched all of them get in their trucks, drive to the station, wait on enough people to show to bring out the tanker. By the time they got to my house, it was basically out. They just had to put out hot spots and the like.
Had the tarp not been down, I probably would have lost the majority of my house! As it is, the area above where the fire was, is my back bedroom & bathroom. They are replacing the sub-flooring in those rooms. The beams for the floor are native lumber 4X6's, so they are going to scrape them clean and then paint & seal them like the rest of that area.

past horses in the stable
72 C10-short step (97-02), 68 C10-long fleet (06-12)
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote