View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

...don't use solder????

If anything can keep two wires together, it's soldering DONE RIGHT!

Cold solder joints are trash. Wires twisted together are subject to untwisting, moisture, pulling, etc. If you want a good connection, tin the end of the wire first, then add the crimp-on connector to it. Forget crimping it, though. Use your solder gun and heat the connector (remove the plastic/nylon colored piece) and finish the install with a touch of solder when the connector is hot enough to draw the solder into the connector.

Good solder joints will be shiny. Cold solder joints will have a dull look to them. Another indicator is solder that is balled-up. Not good. A good solder job will have the wire hot enough for the solder to coat and penetrate the wire but still allow you to see the strands of wire. The connector will still slip on the wire end, if you do it right.

I know that the gold-plated connectors are good, but they're expensive. The do look good when you show them off, though. However, you can still get a bad connection even with the gold-plated connectors.

Just don't try to get by with twisting the wires and wrapping them with tape. It just won't last. At least use wire nuts if you want the connection to be temporary, and tape them to help keep moisture out.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote