View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #68
Rat72

Re: '67 project nightmare ls1 swap

Jamie-
I've purchase quite a few headers recently and am amazed at how they show up and curious why companies make the decisions they do. Maybe you can help me understand. I just bought some S&P headers for my 72 K10 and was surprised at a couple of things. They are using 5/16 flanges and thin wall tubing. Is it weight or cost that sends them in this direction? Also, on the inside of one of the tubes there is an insert which looks to be used to join two pieces of tubing together. This seems very wrong to me, can you comment? They grind the weld on the ports smooth which looks killer and should be good for flow but then they leave a chunk of metal in the middle of the pipe? I'm thinking the S&Ps are more about looks than function.

I have Sanderson Headers on my Jeep and they went with thick tubing and flanges but they have a goofy weld around all the ports and you are supposed to use sealant rather than a gasket. Maybe I'm old fashioned but this seems like a leak waiting to happen. Any comments?

Had some cheap Hedman's. Nothing good there. And at the bottom of my list was a set of Flowtech. I got what I paid for on those beasts.

BTW, I used Thorley's on my Grand Cherokee and was very happy. Very solid, good welds and fit well.

Thanks,
Whit
Rat72 is offline   Reply With Quote