View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 AM   #28
bcbasketball11
Official Track Changer!! woot!

Re: speaker placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72swb_327stroker_? View Post
bcb, yes you should use baffles. i'm sorry, did i not tell you that... i must be getting old! anyhow,yup most baffles are pretty simple and similar. baffles are used for a bass reflex additive in smaller speakers.they help by sealing the surrounding area of the speaker, thus increasing performance by reducing extra speaker cone travel(hyper-extension) that happens when a speaker doesn't have enough air resistance. if you are making kick panels and you haven't completely sealed the inside with fiberglass or some sort of sealer, the speaker will be over-worked and lose performance. adding baffles to any speaker (6x9",5",5-1/4",6",6-1/2",6-3/4",5x7",4",4x10",4x6",6x8") will increase the overall sound quality and speaker life by doing all of the mentioned above. tweeters are too small to benefit from a baffle. they only produce higher frequencies and are created differently than a midrange speaker. baffles are our friends!
let me know if i can answer anything else for you guys! this is fun

Haha it's ok, you have provided an incredible amount of information, a mall slip is more than ok lol. . .but on the kick panels, by sealing do you mean lining with polyfill (or something of that sort)? since it is a solid structure i wasn't sure what joints existed to be sealed lol. i will check for baffles and all that good stuff, thanks much one more time haha. another question, sorta off subject but you enjoy this so why not? haha. . .my friend has his system set up in an 84 jimmy, two subs in the back with an amp run to them from the headunit, and then the smaller amp runs from that amp and powers the two 6x9's. . .the 6x9,s will shut off sometimes but as soon as we turn the truck off then back on they kick on, but shut off soon again. . .any suggestiion?

BUY A CHEVY!!!!
bcbasketball11 is offline   Reply With Quote