View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #86
whatnow123

Re: Just bought a project 67

Hey Everyone!

Just an update, I finally tore into the motor to install the edelbrock aluminum heads (2.02 valves, 64cc chambers) I bought off board member boraxman. Never spoke to the guy, seems really cool and shipped them when he said he would. I've been sitting on them for a few months as I wasn't ready to install them yet. Anyway, when I was pulling off the old heads (I was freaking out a little bit doing this as I bought the truck unrunning and full of grime) and I as suspected the short block as been rebuilt which was a huge relief. I figured it was with the compression being dead on for each cylinder, great oil pressure and ran very strong. It's a .60 over 350 4 bolt main with flat top pistons. The cylinder walls were perfect with zero ridge and all the hone still clearly visible, so the good news is it's very low mileage, the bad is that it's .60 over and on it's last rebuild.

Anyway, pulled it down to a short block, it cleaned up great and the paint was still good from the rebuild. Not sure why anyone would install leaky valve covers on a new block as it was covered in oil grime. Installed the heads, put a new damper in there (the old one was wobbling really bad and the rubber was coming out so I was afraid to drive it far if it let loose). Installed a Lunatii Voodoo cam, roller rockers, ceramic coated headers (which I discolored on start up do the the timing being off duh!) and the stainless magnaflow X kit (buy the way, the tail pipes won't fit on the passenger side if you have a super track bar). After I broke in the cam and got it timed right, all I can say is Wholly Sh-t! It was quick before with the 1.94 76cc heads and whatever cam it had, but now there is no comparison. I know that some have said that the shift from first to second is fairly wide for a 700r, but it rips the tires through second as well and is completely squirly. I was almost out of gas so I filled the tank thinking that the extra weight over the rear would help it hook up, all that did was make the black marks on the street darker. I still have the wood and tailgate to install, so maybe that will help.

I also installed the one piece window kit (with triangles). Great kit! The windows don't rattle at all and are smooth as silk rolling up and down. I highly recommend!

Wasn't sure about what to do for mirrors, I bought some 3rd gen camaro mirrors that I was going to install, but wasn't sure I could fabricate the mounting surface to match the door and not have the mirror to far down. When I was at the auto parts store, I found some $25 "sport mirrors" and thought I could make those work. Did a couple of test fits, shot some paint and low and behold, I they look pretty cool. are completely functional and cover up the triangle for the windows. Turned out way better than I thought they would.

Going to include a photo of the underside of the cowl hood I painted today. I'm going to paint the top tomorrow and install, then I will be completely comfortable actually driving the thing around!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, here are the photos!
Attached Images

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094

Last edited by whatnow123; 03-03-2008 at 09:29 AM.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote