Thread: post em up....
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #32
71Dragtruck

Re: post em up....

I went through the Wallace calculators and If use my estimated rear wheel HP they work out real close to my stats. If I use crank #'s from my dyno sheets they are way out. Now I take dyno numbers with a grain of salt and I've read just as many dyno articles on how the numbers are corrected and worked to read REAL good. I'll look for it and try my best to find one in Car craft or Hot rod can't remember where, but they even admitted to it, and had complaints from people that built those motors and made nowhere near the power they made.

That being said, I dynoed my motor mainly to break it in and to do a bit of timing and carb tuning to get it close before I hit the track. The place that built my motor crushed all my dreams of following a magazine high HP build the first day I spoke to them about building my motor and basically told me if I wanted to see those numbers that another shop would more then likely do it with their dyno but they had a more realistic approch and if I expected those #'s I would be dissapointed with their methods.

I went with their method and saw lower then the magazine builds on the dyno, but it made what was estimated by the builder. And with the parts I put into my motor I don't think that what it makes is BS. As far as online calculators well they are for fun, real numbers are made at the track, and are effected by many things, DA, traction, converter slippage, correct gearing, frontal area, wind direction, the list goes on and on.

TOO many times this discussion comes up with HP numbers and who's motor makes what on the dyno and this magazine made this power with this combo, and one guy spent $8000 less then another guy and makes more power and and he just had to bolt it together and on and on and on never ending like my post. And in the end everyone has their veiws and opinions like holes and strings, aresholes and yo-yos.

And I'll admit when I see a claim of HP from a combo that I know isn't making it I cringe and it's hard to control posting up a call out of BS. And I know of other members that have the same problem cough" JIM "cough. And it's not that I want to burst bubbles and start crap, just trying to keep it real for others that may be spending money and looking for results they aren't going to acheive.

This will be my last opinion, rant or comment on this subject, so I figured I'd make it as long and boring a ramble on as I can, if your annoyed by reading through all this garble well that's how I feel after reading a engine combo that is likely making 100 less Hp then is claimed. I know a guy who's motor made over 1000hp on the dyno with a 250 shot, then ran a 9.66 at the track in a 3500lb. car, hmmm wonder why he now twitches when he says his engine bulders name??? His other set up of alot less power ran 9.97. I'd say start looking at the total power curve and average power and torque, spend alot less time with peek HP numbers, he had a good dyno combo but poor car combo for starters.

Have a good one!
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs

Last edited by 71Dragtruck; 03-07-2008 at 11:14 PM.
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote