View Single Post
Old 05-20-2002, 06:18 PM   #6
GMCPaul

Thumbs down

Go used in this case as there is only one 1972 door panel manufacturer and they are rushing the manufacturing process causing the door panels to shrink so they end up from 1/4"-3/4" to small overall this places alignment of woodgrain, trim, handles, attaching points etc.... out by 1/2 of the amount panel is to small, so if its to small by 1/4" you are out 1/8" at all mounting and attaching points. If its 3/4" out your off by 3/8" everywhere.
This is not something that is out of the ordinary either. I spoke with Brothers and had them examine their stock and out of over 30 1972 door panels they had in stock a 1/4" to small overall was the closest to being right and the majority fell 1/2 way between 1/4" out and 3/4". We have encountered the same thing here with every single one we brought in here. In most instances when I see something occur like this I can go to 1/2 dozen other manufacturers doing the same part and get good ones but as I said 72 door panels are only made by 1 manufacturer.
So don't plan on original woodgrain or new woodgrain made on GM's original tooling, the SS trim, or anything else fitting and looking correct.
GMCPaul
PS- This has been the case for approx. 1 year now, when manufacturer was quized as to why this was the case they stated they felt the problem wasn't that bad and that with the manufacturing process some shrinkage is to be expected and that they had no plans to change the process. Well GM didn't expierence this problem and neither would this manufacturer if they slowed the curing process and left them in the molds longer.
------------------
Online Catalog for-GMCPauls Truck Parts.com
67 LWB GMC SuperCustom Fleetside
67 LWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Fleetside
67 SWB Chevy CST Fleetside
67 LWB Chevy CST Fleet
67 SWB Chevy Stepside
67 LWB Chevy Stepside
68 2wd Chevy 1/2 t. Panel
68 Chevy Panel 1/2Ton 4X4
68 LWB Chevy Fleet 4X4
69 SWB Chevy Stepside
71 GMC Suburban 402/400
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
Nope not a typo 2-72 Camper Specials
and no they are NOT FOR SALE MINE MINE MINE and we accept ALL 67 Refugees Looking For More Never Enough!!!

[This message has been edited by GMC Paul (edited May 20, 2002).]
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote