View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #40
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: whats the average price for machine work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
Im going to get a block and have it machined. then pick all the innards that i want to build my engine just how i want it. My dad has a hoist hes going to let me use, and from the last poster i know i can fit my block in my monte. So looks like about a week or two and ill have a block sent in to be worked on.couple weeks i should have it back and ill put it together. Mabee have the truck running in a month? As far as the sleep thing, im only 21 so i dont need much sleep, i work on the truck in the mornings, then work 3 to 11 at my job then come home and spend time with the ms. then after 1 or so i research the truck, and familiarize myself with the next step in my rebuild. All in all i think i get 5 hours of sleep a day.

You weren't able to salvage the motor out of the old truck?
I was just curious about what you were doing because the last time we chatted, you had "issues" with the truck being in storage.

Being able to "spec" an engine to your needs, is a good thing.

I bought my '69 off my son when he took a job transfer out of state.
But, when bought it, it had a 292, granny 4 speed in it.

When that motor went away, I just happened to have a 4 bolt 350 sitting in the garage.
So we decided to build it for his truck. (He was still in H.S.)
At that time, the truck had a slide in camper & he regularly pulled my boat & trailer.
When we were discussing things with the guy @ the machine shop about cams, compression ratios, etc., it was made clear that a ton of low end torque was needed.

He gave us (actually sold us) what was needed. It starts building torque just off idle, & it's a monster pulling away from a stop.

So I'd definitely say build what's going to work for you.

BTW, I'm nearly 3 times as old as you & I wish I could sleep for 5 hrs. in a row.

It's great to see you young guys interested in this old stuff.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote