View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #41
berencam

Re: whats the average price for machine work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
You weren't able to salvage the motor out of the old truck?
I was just curious about what you were doing because the last time we chatted, you had "issues" with the truck being in storage.

Being able to "spec" an engine to your needs, is a good thing.

I bought my '69 off my son when he took a job transfer out of state.
But, when bought it, it had a 292, granny 4 speed in it.

When that motor went away, I just happened to have a 4 bolt 350 sitting in the garage.
So we decided to build it for his truck. (He was still in H.S.)
At that time, the truck had a slide in camper & he regularly pulled my boat & trailer.
When we were discussing things with the guy @ the machine shop about cams, compression ratios, etc., it was made clear that a ton of low end torque was needed.

He gave us (actually sold us) what was needed. It starts building torque just off idle, & it's a monster pulling away from a stop.

So I'd definitely say build what's going to work for you.

BTW, I'm nearly 3 times as old as you & I wish I could sleep for 5 hrs. in a row.

It's great to see you young guys interested in this old stuff.
well i might have been able to save it, but for one, its still in the wrecking yard and they want 700 something to take it out last i checked, not to mention theres probably internal damage. the visual things i saw wrong where.
oil pan ripped off, distributor bent about a 45 degree angle, carb is shattered, aluminum intake is cracked, both manifolds are ripped in half, one is sheared off the engine, half of the bell housing is still attached to the truck while the other half including the transmission was no where to be found(wrecker said it 'blew up" and they had to rake up the shrapnel off the road), one valve cover was sheared off and water pump was cracked in half. I think thats it, my point being, i would have needed a plasma cutter just to remove the engine, then once i got in there chances of the internals being any good are slim to none. They way i figure, you got a crank spinning 2k rpm and then you throw a 2 ton sledge hammer at the front of the engine , your gonna push the crank further into the engine, probably breaking the crank and all the caps.