View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 04:18 AM   #15
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Re: Give me you opinion regarding my front axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
Unless you don't plan on keeping it long, I'd spend the money fixing it. The only special tools that are "must haves" are a wheel bearing nut socket, and a upper ball joint spanner socket. Underneath the upper ball joint nut is a threaded preload collar that must be ran down & torqued to specs AFTER the lower joint is tightened. Don't try to back the old one out until you have beat out the ball joint either. Be sure to get new spindle bearing kits- cheap and easy while you are in there. Before sliding the axle shafts back in, make a scraper to go down in the axle tube & drag the debris out- or you will push it into the output seals and end up with seals that leak bad. If there is any sign of oil in the tubes- might as well go further & replace those seals. But that means pulling the diff.

It can easily turn into a long days work, but worth it if she's a keeper

Yeah we had to get those special sockets when Critter did his. I do remember that the order they are torqued is very important, do it in the wrong order and it will be SUPER tight and not move so do it in the right order.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote