View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #167
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Re: copperhead video tapes

I've been watching this thread for a long time.

I'm not a copyright expert or an attorney. But I've learned a lot about it in the last couple years. Not to air dirty laundry, but here goes:

We're personally caught up in a lengthy civil lawsuit right now concerning several issues, with one part of the suit concerning copyright infringement. Fortunately, we're not in the wrong side in the copyright portion of the suit. Hopefully, we're not on the wrong side in any of the rest of it, either, but court is court, and the right side doesn't always win, and when you go to court, you really end up losing, no matter how things turn out.

Time, emotions, distractions from family & work, lotsa $$$ for legal fees, etc, etc.

Copyright infringement is a serious business.

Commercialization of copyright infringement carries with it a potential penalty of as much as $ 150,000 PER INCIDENT (which would mean per sale or per "gift" even of each copied DVD) & Oh, by the way, it's also a federal felony. Per infringement. Penalties can run into the millions of $$$$ & literally years of jail sentences. Even with the usual "settlement," it's still way-way expensive.

I know people do it all the time, and the odds of getting caught seem pretty low, since there's no real "copyright police" out there, but it ain't worth the risk. Infringement is investigated by the FBI, and if you p!ss somebody off bad enough, they're who can end up looking into it.

Josh is definitely right.

My advice, for whatever little it's worth, is this: "Leave it alone."

Last edited by 68shortstep; 04-27-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote