View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
jeffs51chevy

Re: Yet Another s10 swap

I’ve had a few requests for measurements and a more detailed account of what I’ve done thus far. I’ve even been approached with monetary incentives to explain the process. I am not here to make a buck. I believe this forum to be a place for exchanging ideas and helping each other. My project was born out of the generosity of others who shared their knowledge and expertise. In fact, my original plans were scraped after I found work done by guys on this very board. Having said that, I would like to give a better explanation of the process. The front mounts are 9 ¼ tall and the sides are 3 ¼ - 4 - 3 ¼ respectively. The rear mounts are 10 ¼ inches tall and 4 - 4 - 4. The side edges that drop from the top down and then diagonals back to the bottom of the mount is 3 ½. The top plate for the mounts are 3 ¼ x 4 for the fronts and 5 x 4 for the rear. I hope this is making sense. You need to just tack weld the top plates flush, so that you can get an accurate measurement of 5 inches down from the top of the mount. It is here that you will weld the “foot”. The “foot’s” dimensions are 3 x 4 x 3. You pretty much have completed mounts at this point, so let’s get to mounting them on the s10 frame. I transferred the existing bolt holes from my cab to strips of plywood so that I would not have to use the actual cab. Here is a pic:

I clamped the mounts to the frame starting with the front mounts 2 inches forward the long oblong frame hole. On my truck there is 32 1/8 between the front mounts and the rear mounts. I then placed the plywood strips across the front and rear mounts and centered them. From here it was a lot of measuring - forward, aft, and diagonally. I used the holes in the strips to mark the top plates. I then broke the tack welds on the top plates and used a 2” hole saw to cut the bushing seats. Make sure you measure and center everything. I re-used the stock s10 cab bushings. The cab was finally set and bolted to the mounts. I measured and re-measured differing points until I was happy with how it sat on the frame. I bolted on a front fender to make sure I had the front wheel centered. After a little welding, I had the cab mounted. I hope this makes someone’s build a little easier. I’ve had a blast playing MacGyver in my garage
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote