View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: You Chose a Blazer/Jimmy - WHY?

I've always liked Chevy's, my favorite high school car was the 1980 Camaro that I finally got during my Junior year. Sadly I didn't have an appreciation for the 67-72 trucks or first gen K5's at that time. I liked trucks but they just weren't special to me yet. In 1999 my family moved from the city to about 20 acres out in the sorta country (18 miles from the city). The first year I hired a friend to cut my brome field and he brought over his 70 1 ton - I'd seen it before but never really got a chance to check it out real good. Well, his bailer broke and he needed a part from his house and he had me drive his truck to get the part - kinda fell in love with the truck immediately. I jokingly told him I'd buy it - knowing he would not part with it - and from that point I decided I needed a 67-72 truck.

I started scouring the classifieds in the paper each Sunday and found the paper's internet site added cars on Wednesday. So of course first thing I'd do when I got to work each Wednesday was search the online classifieds. Well, one Wednesday I found my 69 listed in the local paper for $2,000. All it said was 1969 Chevy C20 4x4. Called the number and it was an elderly man's son and he advised that after storing the truck for 9 years the elderly man and his son decided it was time to sell the truck. I immediately left work and was the first to call and test drive the beauty! As we were about done test driving I asked the son if they would take $1,750 and he said yes so we drove straight to my bank and got him the $$! I was hooked big time.

Not long after getting the truck I was searching the internet to figure out if I was going to damage the engine running unleaded fuel. Well, that search led me to this board and to all you lunatics. (Well, it was a much smaller board back then - but still a bunch of lunatics)

I started to see pics of the 69-72 K5's and soon found myself thinking I needed one. I was knee deep in the 69 project when I came across a local 71 or 72 that was a bit rusty but did have a hard and soft top. Really wanted it but the rust was scaring me and the fact that I had one project going made me decide to pass. I still continued to keep my eyes open and one day I was on this K5 subforum and saw a link to a Texas fishing board where a guy had my present K5 listed. I sat on the fence for a couple days and kept looking at the fairly straight and minimal rust on the body then finally got the guts to throw out the topic to my wife - for some odd reason she didn't say no, probably because the asking price of $700 was so low! Anyway, I got it for $650 and trailer in tow along with boardmember barn9 as my copilot - we set out from here to drive to Dallas, Texas to pick it up.

I'm glad I bought it as I get alot of joy out of my K5 and my kids dig it - my 11 year old daughter really likes it and when ever we are going on an errand, she's chomping at the bit for us to take it. Course that just makes my day!

Well, there's my long story!

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 07-08-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote