Thread: Glasspacks
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 06:10 PM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I think there are a lot of "myths" about welded exhaust! I worked in a muff shop for about a yr, & we didnt weld eveything.....or weld things to get a repeat customer over parts he couldnt change. A lot of guys would request a welded system (yes sir!), & some would say "I dont want anything welded" (again, yes sir!). Personally, I prefer a welded system & my longhorn is welded. As far as taking a welded system apart......no problem, I have a torch! the system on my longhorn was done on the floor in my garage, & has a welded H pipe,muffs, & tailpipes. ...it hasnt caused any problems. I have a straight run from the headers to the muffs(a 3 degree kink in the pass side to make line with the collector), & 2 notched crossmembers(1 custom from scratch). thje 3" tail pipes are mandrel bent, & exit ahead of the rear wheels.....yes it loud! As far as glass pcks, I dont like them.... but if you run them the longer ones are a lot more mellow......& stick them as far to the rear as you can , or the heat will burn the packing out......then you might as well have saved the cash & just ran pipe. Good luck.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote