View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #157
70rs/ss

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Yeah, jack up one front tire at a time, lock the hub and you should feel hear it lock and it won't spin (in gear, 4 locked) mind you, then try other side same way. As for the thicker oil it actually fills the space in the case of worn or loose bearing tolerances. I guess the thicker oil could cause an issue, but if there is a restriction thin or thick it's going to happen. I run 20w50 in the winter, and straight 50 or 60 in the summer in my older v-8. The oil helps to keep the metal parts from touching the other metal parts! If you wiped a bearing, you'd hear it and the OP would be pretty low. Run straight 30 in it and get the cheapest auto parts brand oil you can find, as you are going to run it for a short period of time (with either the seafoam or auto trans fluid) just don't run it hard or drive it, just start it and let it idle, then dump it and change filter. I have heard of guys getting lucky and you seem to have a good bit of it!! I had a buddy lose a brand new motor because he didn't prime the OP and it ran with assembly lube and then welded stopped! I am still in complete awe of this build, the budget is rediculous, and that is why I love it so much. I have a couple of vehicles around here and lots of parts, once I can get around and do the work (back surgery 5 weeks ago) I will give this low dollar build idea a shot!!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-16-2008 at 02:38 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote