View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #161
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Thanks for the tips everyone.

On a side note, I know a guy up in northern MN that is into these trucks big time (no internet, no email). Anyway, I was working up there this week and stopped by. Told him about my luck at the junkyard and he may be trading me some parts for the step side fender I found. I might be able to get some significant parts for my $25 investment.

I also spotted some trucks at a metal recycler north of Thief River Falls. Talked to the owner and was told that he could not sell parts, but I could take some small stuff. So for $0 I got an arm rest, visors, ash tray, radio delete, transfer case shift knob, horn button, dome light with harness and a few other doo-dads. I might have been able to get more, but I didn't want to push my luck. All this stuff was quick and easy to get. Access was not good. As always, what I can't use for my own projects will eventually be sold.

During the 900 plus miles I put on since sunday, I looked at 2 trucks in the scrap pile, 2 along the road with for sale signs, 2 along the road w/out for sale signs (one was possibly abandoned) and then stopped at Flynns place (see above). He has a gorgeous red 72 long bed, copper 72 blazer, blue panel, green 4x4 long bed, another blazer he restored. I think he has a suburban in his shop and another couple trucks, oh yeah and a GMC 4x4 snow plow truck. He does restoration on his own projects all summer, then drives truck over the winter. Very good guy.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote