View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
72Subby

Tool Organization Question

Okay, this is keeping me up at night. It's a general question, but I didn't see a better place to ask, so I'll ask my friends here:

I am about to embark on my occasional re-organization of the garage and tool box. I sort and clean things, note things that need replaced, toss some things, inventory things for the insurance man, etc.

I'm adding another Craftsman roll-away and chest (that will be 3) so there will be more tool re-organization than the last time. Here are some questions that probably have no right or wrong answers, but I'd appreciate some viewpoints:

- do hole saws go with "saws" or "drill bits"?
- I keep mechanics tools separate from household/wood working tools (but some overlap...)
- I keep SAE and metric tools separate (but they share some things, like ratchets...)
- do you keep "supplies" with your "tools"? (are their crimp connectors with your crimper?)
- do you keep consumables (thread loc, tubes of adhesives, etc.) in your tool box?
- I'm thinking of keeping saw blades and files together (maybe with drill bits?) but the power tools separate. As opposed to now, where all my jigsaw blades are in the ratty box that holds my jigsaw...

(add your own suggestion or comment)

Horribly anal, I know, but I've been paying attention to how tools are organized in stores and at some professional shops, as well as my gear head friends.

Lastly, in case anyone things this is a huge waste of a thread, let me give a shout out to the most useful tool I've recently discovered and added to my arsenal:

* A Pop Nut Insert Tool (and inserts) *

works like a pop rivet gun but installs threaded barrels that secure against the sheet metal to take screws/bolts. Awesomely useful tool, amazingly hard to find however.

--steve