View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #131
SCOTI

Re: $999 for a Dropmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer View Post
If I missed this question I apologize.

Ok, imgine if you will if somebody used factory coils and arms. What kind of drop would sombody get just bolting on the new drop member? I know its designed to work with bags, but for planning purposes what would the amount of drop be?

I know it was said that if somebody had 29-inch tires it would stand 6-inches above laying frame. Well I have some tiny wheels that came with the truck and I'm sure they are not 29-inches. I'm sure I could do some math and try and figure it out, but I figured somebody must have already done it.

I'm at the stages where my truck can go anywhere since I just started it and figured why not start laying out the path now and if I can get something completely streetable and update my 65 suspension why not.
Like you stated, the DM is designed for bags so I don't think you'll get any certain answers regarding possible heights w/coil springs.

If you could fabricate the coil specific mounts & get it to work, I would add the amount of spindle drop plus 3" (the amount the pivot points of the a-arms are raised) to get an estimate. The amount of total drop (or ride height)will be directly linked to the height of the upper mount in relation to the frame rails plus the overall height of the coils.

It would seem if a guy is intent on running coils, he would gravitate toward a 'Z' vs. an aftermarket crossmember regardless if it's Porters or SD's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-01-2008 at 03:40 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote