View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #68
Chuck78

Re: Any other projects in your garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
From the outside of the Camaro, it's pretty unassuming till you look at the 275 up front and rear (soon to be a 315). It's not a drag strip car by any means. It's being built for open road racing.

Nice job, Super73! Are you a nastyz28.com member also (fyi to the rest - it's a GREAT 70-81 camaro site)? An LS1/T56 and major chassis mods would be in the works for me if I didn't have so many projects (BIG old house, panel truck, and demanding job).
I've got a former 71 RS/SS396 project. It's my 4th 70-81. Put it on hold when I started doing house rehabs, and now doing the dream house (5000 sq ft 3 story 1890 victorian). Then I got the 62 GMC 1000 Panel that was a minor basket case!
Camaro had the posi, TH400, and "396" (actually they were a 402 in 71+) yanked and put in a nice looking 307/TH350 car that was already restored... I'm all about cornering over having a car that flies like a bullet in a straight like and can';t turn worth a crap. So I decided unless I came across a great deal on a #'s matching engine, I'd keep it light. Built a nice streetable 406 small block chevy, Edelbrock E-Tec al. heads (like the LS1 chambers/runners, sorta like an aluminum vortec aftermarket), full roller valvetrain and custom cam with big lift, modest duration, and a wide LSA to keep the street manners. 9.6:1 compression. Have an airgap RPM intake for it with a 750 AFB, but I think I will eventually swap to a GM TBI setup to keep it looking similar to a carb plus lots of wires all over... Unless I go with the psuedo-Weber 8 x 1 barrells with a stack type fuel injection setup... I want to stay away from the modern TPI manifold look if I can, but fuel injection has my vote for efficiency and good manners.
The rest of the car is a Tremec 5 speed, Ultra 16X8's (look like Enkie's or Firebird GTA wheels), Sumitomo HTR-Z 255/50/16's (awesome grip!), Global West tubular a-arms and solid del-a-lum bushings, BIG sway bars, 12" front discs, 11.1 rear discs, 3.23 posi, al. d-shaft, sub connectors, Stiffer springs all around (lowered), IAS shocks, and I'm gonna fab up some Herb Adams VSE style cowl/firewall to A-arm chassis stiffener braces to make the thing a real stiff deal. Probably doing a fiberglass hood and fenders at some point, as well as deck lid. This is all years down the road at this point. I have 90% of the parts, but -210% of the time... Here's some old shots:

tried to do a photo of the outside of the house, technical problems (need to reinstall photoshop to resize it)
Attached Images

Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote