View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #22
mr48chev

Re: Whats your favorite SB chevy motor and why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys47 View Post
how about a 1969 302 that was a sweet motor as well the could rev.

A genuine and documented 69 302 if you could even find one would price it's self out of the ballpark due to the "collector" value/pricing. But that doesn't say that he couldn't buy a 350 4 bolt main block and build a 302 +cleanup bore with it.

It may be just because I'm an older guy who has helped a lot of younger guys (and gals) get started with building their first car or first engine and pie in the sky suggestions really don't seem helpful.

For a "first" build I would still stick with what I suggested before. A 70 something four bolt main 350 that can be built with a somewhat inexpensive rebuild kit from a number of vendors and add a few upgrades.

What I don't suggest is paying extra for a Corvette engine, a Z anything engine or one of the other low production performance small blocks.
If one happens to show up for a reasonable price go for it but don't pay extra for it just to say that you have one.

I've got the original 4 bolt main 350 that came in my 71 GMC complete with a bad rod. The plan at the moment is to buy a 383 stroker kit from one of the vendors who advertises in the magazines an online and then buy a pair of Vortec heads from Gilbert aka Salahee Chevrolet and build a 383 with Vortec heads, probably a performer intake and matching carb. By doing a bit of diligent shopping a.nd not going overboard I will be in it less than 2k running down the road. This the last engine I ever expect to build for this truck or run in it and it is my last full sized truck and it has to last as long as I want to use it and probably for my son beyond that. But it has a solid base, solid but simple plan and not a lot of expensive frills just to impress the guys at the gas station.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote