View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #46
prg machine

Re: frame swap for a 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
My experience also, do not quench, just let cool with straightening apparatus in place. Remove and measure. Most frame shops will work within a plus or minus 1/4" on 2wd stuff because you can make it up in alignment. On a straight axle I'd go for right on, but if your as close as an 1/8" or 1/16", I'd try and drive it and see what happens. You have done very well redoing the truck since the accident, you have nothing to lose by straightening the frame some more. Just be sure your wires, brake and gas lines are away from the inside of the frame rail before you apply the heat!
Thanks for the good words.
The frame was off a mile in the begining and i got it close. It drives okay but favors pulling slightly right. I will more than likely pull the front clip off at some point and get back into the straightening .

I am still mentaly engineering making some tools to do this with a little more accurately than a tree, hammer, come-alongs and another truck pulling the frame to straighten. I have been advised to paint straight lines on the garage floor and use plumb bobs to get it styraightenend out.
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote