Thread: S-10 Rant
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Re: S-10 Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I'd always heard that 2.2L S-10's were a ***** to change the plug wires. I thought, I'm good with cars, it can't be that bad...

It was absolutely beautiful today! So I decided to install the new NGK plugs and NGK wires I bought a few months ago. A guy at work has a 2.2 and he said it was necessary to remove the PS tire. I get the truck jacked up, w/jackstand under it, and sure enough, lift the flap and easy access to the coil packs! So far so good.

Next I take off the CAI I installed which is actually way easier to remove than all the stock intake stuff. Cool. Got all the wires off pretty easy, got the plugs out, new plugs in. #1 and #2 were a bit of a pain because there is NO extra room with the A/C comressor in the way.

I start to trace the wires down the block in their heat wrap. No biggie, I get them all out. I soon realized there was no way I was going to get the wires back in the heat wrap without taking off the alternator. I tried a few times with no luck. I didn't want to mess up the wires, so the battery was unhooked and off came the alternator... all 3 pain in the ass bolts that hold that on too (I just installed this alternator a couple months ago when the other one pooed on me.)

With the alt. off it was easy to get the plugs in the heat wrap and installed. Got everything back together pretty easy. I probably could have gotten it done without removing the alt. but it was a lot easier with it off.

I've never in my life changed plugs on a vehicle that was anywhere near this difficult.

Rant off

I also took took the time to wash and wax the truck too. So if I bored you with my post, here's some pics to look at
Your truck looks good for 96K+ miles.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote