View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #93
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

^ Thanks, I'm actually going to be able to make some serious progress now. Had to set them aside for a bit. Reason I haven't done much of anything on them recently, is I've been doing all sorts of odd jobs to make enough some dollars to buy this:

It's a 93 sonoma.

15 year old interior.

obligatory engine shot

Nice lil truck, got a H.O 4.3, backed up with a manual valve bodied trans with a bump-shifter. It's got some super short gearing in the back too, gotta jack it up and figure out what it is, prolly put a 'longer' diff in it for mileage etc. Best thing about it is when I do actually get my 71 back together, I can use the chassis from the sonoma under the 56 I have sitting in the side yard.

if I wasn't busy trying to get this truck I'd prolly have been busy with the fenders. but I really need a little truck, just using my Acura TL as a 'worker' was really messing it up, fiberglass and resin, tools, and all sorts of other crap that I need to move around were taking their toll. Also I've had to turn down some general handyman type jobs because I haven't had a truck to haul tools and supplies to those jobs. I used to do alot of that stuff for extra cash, but my 71 has been stripped to the frame for almost a year now.

So the upholstery shop might be closing as it's so slow and everyone wants dollars for pennies, Even with a sign saying you can have it cheap, you can have it fast, or you can have quality, but not all at once; it's still all low ball offers and complaints. Alot of jobs being quoted, not much work, and I know their pricing is on the average to low side for the area. But I am going to try to re-do the sonoma after-hours before the upholstery shop closes. As long as I buy the material, I don't think it will be a problem at all. So anyways it means no work, but now I can start doing handyman stuff whenever needed and really get going on the fenders. Good timing to swap up the vehicles, so the TL is gonna get sold to fund my 71 and these molds and finished fenders etc.

I actually have all the plaster and filler etc that I need to finish the fenders. As soon as they are done I'll go pick up everything I need to make the molds. The molds will actually be alot easier and faster for me, as that's where my real experience is. Actually making the fenders I have to think and tinker alot to figure out what works good and seems to take me more time. The mold, I know just what to do and can run through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982 View Post
You could just do away with the marker light. Alot of custom truck guys shave them off anyways. If the law harasses someone they could add a small marker on the side where ever they wanted. Just an idea that may make the process a bit easier. It's looking good so far though.. Keep it up.
Thanks.
It sure would have been easier to shave the light, but to graft a factory style light back in would be pretty tricky, and some people might want a more stock look. I'm aiming to have a fender that looks like it could be a stock fender if you didn't know it wasn't.

And it'd be really easy to shave the markers on the glass fender. just using the light bucket it could easily be glassed in.

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72

Last edited by Mordachai; 11-03-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote