View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #1054
Frizzle Fry

Re: Joined the Short Wheelbase Club *69 Tahoe Project*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's 67 View Post
Dang Mike,
Been a month or so since I last checked on you and Tubby, and I am simply awe-struck. This is nothing short of awesome work, thought, forethought and concept, not to mention execution my friend. Looking thru the last few pages, You were not clear about your hinge/door/body contact or clearance issue to get the full 180 Degree opening. I am assuming that the issue for the full 180 degrees is probably around the wheel arch area, where the arch and body line come together when open? Just a thought (and only from a different fabricators point of view) but if you twisted the hinge outward at the bottom (rotate around a horizontal plane front-rear) just a few degrees that would bring the glass in and the bottom of the door out when open a full 180 degrees. Granted, you seem to be pretty far along in the "square" design and rotating the hinge may be a little involved at this point. None the less it could be a possible solution if that is where your clearance issue is at. Canted hinges do make door adjustments a lot more challenging, as the hinge plane is no longer parallel to the door opening hence hinge adjustment in one plane can affect the door in both planes.
This is just my un-solicited two cents and maybe a little food for a solution.

And put me down for Linc’ style handles. You might think of the original Lincoln handles too, and as I recall they came a little closer together at the door split line (kind of creates a smoothness). Something subtle that many would miss, of course we in our group of 67-72 truck nuts would notice right off that they were not the original truck handles.

Spencer
Thanks for the suggestion Spencer. Yes, the closest points are around the arch. I thought about rotating the hinges as you suggested but didn't want to complicate things. It's gonna work with it flat, just had to move it out as far as possible. I appreciate it though!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote