View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #21
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Short Bed VS Long Bed Fleet Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post

I would take a no optioned short fleet, then build it to what I wanted. Because in the end, it would be what I want. You are the only one who can say what money is being put to good use, and what is being thrown away.

I've got an easy five figures into mine, and it's not even close to being finished. But so far, every dollar was well spent!

Here's the deal: On passenger vehicles of the era, the body style tag said a lot about what the vehicle was when new. In that, I mean whether or not it was an SS, or a GTO, for example. To that end, if you know your style codes, you would know if a GTO was a clone or if it was legit. On these trucks, the VIN says whether or not it was a V8 or a 6; whether it was a long or a short bed; whether it was 2 or 4-wheel drive and whether or not it was a stepside, fleetside or a Longhorn.

Many of the options of the day could be ordered from the git-go. But, there was a fairly extensive list of dealer-installed items that one could buy/install to make his truck distinctive and personal.

There have been numerous magazine articles done on shortening a LWB to a SWB; converting a 3/4-ton to a 1/2-ton. Upgrading the suspension, with air, hydraulics or static suspensions is a personal preference. Drop it or not? Jack it up? Got air? In my opinion, we are the lucky ones in owning this series of trucks because we CAN modify, restify, hot-rod, customize or restore and feel good with what we have. I don't know if the 67-72's will ever attain the status of a '32 Ford, or a Tri-5, or not, but they have achieved icon status per several magazine editors and writers.

As long as you are comfortable with where you put your money, let it be to your liking.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote