View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Re: 76 chevy dually getting slammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Cool. Go for the 6/8.5 drop!
When they say it takes it all the way down, they aren't kidding. I had hardly any travel in the front end left. I had to relocate my charcoal canister and pull my inner fenders...which isn't really a big deal, but if I had a decent looking engine compartment, I'd be fabbing up some replacement fenders.

I ran a drop shackle in the rear along with the flip, so despite my best efforts to avoid it, eventually I had to cut a small hole in the bed for my pumpkin. The bangin around was driving me crazy. The bed was thrashed anyway, so I wasn't too concerned, and it was easier than pulling the shackles.

In terms of drivability, it's real nice...now. A 3/4 probably would have been a bit less work, but IMO you can't beat the look of the 6/8.5. I wouldn't hesitate to run that kit on a tow rig. Western puts out a quality product. In fact, I'm thinking about selling my '77 and swapping that kit onto my '86. The '77 turned out to be a pretty decent guinea pig. I know exactly what needs to be done to set up a 6/8.5 for daily driven reliability.

Last edited by JCampbell; 11-25-2008 at 11:38 AM.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote