View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
brian26

Re: `72 Blazer with fiberglass cab enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
how did you counter the waight of the top. did u use the mechanical method or leverage

All of this is the magic going on in the geometry with regards to the framework and its mechanisms starting from the top back corner of the door glass area, on down into the mechanism in the bed. I don't know what method i'd call it, i just know it works. On a Blazer, the trick is to get it to fold into the bed before it gets close to the innerfenders. A straight arc will not work without chopping a lot of sh*+. I don't like to chop on factory Blazers.

Funny note here- For closure on whether to stay after this top(my 5th attempt) and make the perfect one, or move on- I sent pics to the editor of Classic Trucks magazine, John Gilbert to be exact. He said "Don't quit your dayjob". He might be right.

Yet I must contend this one item. I only used "ONE" actuator for the top. I did use a separate one for the bed cover. But only "ONE" for the top. The SSR uses around 12 I think. The '57 Ford Retractable used 13(?).

I did have a bedcover that used the energy of the top motion. Thus making it a "TRUE ONE ACTUATOR" top. Back then on a calm day I could drop the top at 65 mph! Yee-huh. 65, I checked it over and over. Naturally in a 20 mph headwind, 40-45 was for example the fastest you could go before it would make you nervous. The problem with that bedcover was that it was UGLY. Ugly does not sell.

I have to go to bed now. More later.