View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Prostreet 72
Prostreet 72

Re: 2nd 1972 Chevy Fleetside build (Green Monster)

Yeah, this truck had some serious scale problems from being left on that wet grass for so long.

After I went thru the frame with a fine tooth comb to uncover the soft spots, I determined that the frame arch above the rear springs was in bad shape. There were a few spots where the metal had begun to get soft, and in a few spots rusted thru.

I started fixing that by placing 2 25" lengths of 2" x 4" x 3/16 rectangle tubing inside the frame rail. I forced the tube in above the spring mount and tied it into the frame with some plates and strap. I did this to both sides.

The next step was to box in the frame rails. I started in the center and worked rearward, checking that the frame was staying level and not twisting on a regular basis while welding. All of the original cross members were welded to the original rails (Top and Bottom) and then tied to the new box sections.

On the outside of the frame, above the springs where it had some reus thru, and softening going on, I ground down the frame, treated it, and installed a 28" plate to the outside of the rail. This material was 3/16" thick, and was triple welded and ground. To make these sections so they would not be noticed, I made cardboard patterns of the frame for both sides and trimed the plates to them.
Attached Images