View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #179
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Re: Our '66 Short Fleet Build

Welp I've only painted the rear frame and the cross supports so far. When its warm the base coats goe on very smooth and self levels pretty well. Well so does the top UV protectant layer.

The only problem I had was after putting the 1st coat on its shinny, very shinny and when you goto put on the second coat well its shinny and hard to tell where you put on the top from the bottom.

Then you get to the Chasis, which is flat and is a UV protectant it goes on shinny and dries flat. I really and I mean I really like the flatness of it, but man there are some sweet rigs out there with shinny frames. I just like flat.

The only thing I didn't like about it if you try and brush it on below 60 the paint felt kinda thick and the instructions say to put it on around 70 so I'm kinda on hold to paint the rest of the frame this spring.

I didn't take any photos, but I did let a brush dry and attempted to bend the bristles and well I ended up snapping the paint brush handle before I could get the bristles to bend the slightest. I was rather impressed.

I used a quart of the base to do two coats of the rear frame basically under the bed, all of the bed supports and the rear axle. I used around 1/2 quart or maybe just a bit more of the Chasis black to do the samething. I"m guessing I used more of the base because it had to fill in little imperfections or whatnot.

I was tossing up between RustBullet and POR15 myself, but I decided I really wanted something I could brush on and I more or less flipped a quarter and picked POR15. hahaha

I didn't post some photos on my build either because I forgot or well I got lazy, but you can see all of them in my Build Diary just click on the Archive button and it will show you every post I've done in order. Bottom up that is.

Last edited by kizer; 12-16-2008 at 07:28 PM.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote