View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #206
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Since I have had allot of people ask me "Whats that blue stuff" on other builds I thought I would show a quick 5 step answer. It is called bluing die or layout die and it is used for many different things. I use it for two main things, one being panel layout. It sprays on and when you use a scribe or just any sharp point it comes off leaving a very visible line to follow. Then I also use it for getting panels as striate as I can when doing body work or metal finishing. Let me be the first to say I am not that great at metal finishing but everything I practice I get a very small amount better. So after welding the seam and working it with a hammer and dolly every step of the way I feel it is almost done but needs a little touch up here and there. So I spray the die on the panel and let it dry for about 10 mins then go over it with a body file to show thew highs and lows.

Then I use the hammer and dolly on the real lows and some on the real highs then I hit it with a long board with 40grit. After that I hammer and dolly more on the low spots and hit again with the long board. I keep repeating this process until I am happy with the results. In this case I would say my lows are only about a 1/6" to 3/32" in the bad spots so I will leave it here and finish it off with lead later this week after I get the other side in the same shape.

In these pics the very front and back of the seam are not complete but it gives you the idea anyways.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote